Cesium Fountain Atomic Clock


Yeah, physics always focus on accuracy. I was a science student and I flunked few of my physics test in my pre-university program because I didn't take accuracy seriously - getting the right decimal points, miscalculate equation, misdefine the definition of a second. What the heck is the precise defination of a second??

"The second is the duration of 9 192 631 770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom."- BIPM

That makes physics is so difficult to study. Defining 'second' does involve other materials such as caesium atom. This is indeed sounds very 'Greek' to me. Only a few 'Einsteins' were able to understand this in class. Serious speaking, my country has yet to have a nobel-prize winner in science even though there are young talented scientist or 'Einsteins' in the making.

I won't elaborate more and let's get back to the main topic - Cesium Fountain Clock claimed to be the world's most accurate clocks by NIST. FYI, it is referred to as a fountain clock because it uses a fountain-like movement of atoms to measure frequency and time interval - NIST

Other links - via Yahoo!News

No comments: